Blocked pipes are the most common disturbance to the minds of every household/ industry. These clogged drainage pipes could be most times disgusting, brimful with bacteria which encourage a very pungent smell, causing a huge inconvenience in the household, this brings us to the question” What is the most effective drain opener” for an immediate solution.
A drain opener could be used by anyone to open a clogged pipe, but sometimes you might need the help of a professional. Let’s look at the likely causes of drain blockage, so we can take preventive measures and also know possible ways to fix the blockages when the need arises.
1. Hair: The most common way our drainage gets blocked is by hair falling off while taking a bath. It can easily bind with any sticky properties or grease to form clog in pipes/drainage systems. Since this is a common problem for many homeowners, there are ways you can fix your drain and put a long-term solution in place which is by getting a drainage cover
2. Grease: Grease and fats are another common reason for blocked pipes. It is very important to keep oily substances from going down the drain. Many may think that water just washes everything along, but fats are sticky, binding substances that can easily cause buildups and finally clog the pipe. The proper way is to pour oil/grease into a disposable container.
3. Improper Disposal of Toiletries: Many people get into the habit of disposing of toiletries down the drain, pampers, sanitary towels , condoms and pads are the common items known to block drains after being flushed down the toilet. When these items are immersed in water or the drainage system they absorb the moisture and enlarge, blocking access to water drains and pipes.
4. Tree Roots: This is also a reason why we get to have clogged pipes most times especially in older houses. Living in a wooded environment, it is necessary to observe any form of tree roots invasion .This is likely to happen also when the roots of a tree curdle up into the drainage outlet or if there’s any leakage on the drainage pipes.
5. Food Leftovers: Properly dispose of leftovers in a waste bin and not the kitchen sink or bathtub. The drainage systems are not built for this reason.
6. Objects: Let’s educate our younger ones not to dispose/ throw objects into the toilet. Those objects could be sharp, hard, non-degradable. These items could be bar soap, children’s toys.
Now that we have considered the different possible ways drainage could get clogged, it is also important to note the right step to take after.
What are the signs of clogged drainage systems?
1. When you notice, it takes longer for water to flush down the toilet system.
2. Debris filled with water in the kitchen sink.
3. Untraceable odor.
4. Backflow (water coming back up to the surface of the sink).
STEPS TO TAKE TO UNCLOG DRAINAGE SYSTEM.
1. Initially, these clogs can be so visible to the surface and easily accessible, therefore you can put on a pair of gloves and immediately unclog with your hand, a wire coat hanger can be straightened with one end bent to create a hook for extra reach and leverage.
2. Plungers can also be used in the toilets, kitchen sinks, and bathtubs. For the best suction, a cup-style plunger that covers the drain opening completely is preferred, to create a tight seal. Make 6 even, up-and-down thrusts, keeping the seal intact. Remove the plunger: If the water drains away, you’ve made progress. If it doesn’t, repeat the process.
3. Use a drain cleaner. The next option is to use a drain opener .A drain opener could be Acidic or Alkaline Cleaners.
TYPES OF CHEMICAL CLEANERS
ACIDIC DRAIN CLEANERS
The use of acidic drain cleaners is mostly suitable for new pipes or metallic pipes such as copper. This is due to the nature of these cleaners. This acidic cleaner is specially formulated with strong chemicals in which sulfuric acid is the key ingredient. Acid drain cleaners are used to remove fats, cellulose protein based items in the pipes faster, and it instantly dissolves food matters quickly. However it is advised to always wear your protective wear (eye goggles, gloves and safety clothing) before the use of these chemicals. Also check the kind of pipes installed before you use this chemical. Due to the nature of this chemical, it will not be suitable for some kind of piping system.
ALKALINE DRAIN CLEANERS
Alkaline drain cleaner, some refer to it as cleaning agents. This alkaline cleaner contains highly potent bases such as potassium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide. This type of cleaner can dissolve fats, oils, grease and other deposits that are protein based. Most of the time, dispersing agents are also added to the alkaline drain cleaner to put off re-deposition of chelants or dissolved dirt that can attack metal parts, resulting in rusting on metal parts. This type of drain opener is used for larger pipes, metal pipes. Ensure you are well kitted when handling this chemical.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Many have said Coke unclog drains, how true is this?
A: Yes, this is possible. The phosphoric acid in soda makes it possible for coke to unclog drains. A two-liter jug of cola should do the job, however note that this is just for minor blockage in your kitchen sinks especially, with time you might need something stronger than coke as the case may be.
Q: Can I use a plunger to unclog my drain?
A: Plungers are known to be used on toilets; you can also use them to unclog minor plugs in your drain. Ensure there is water in your plumbing fixture as using a plunge on a dry surface can damage your pipes.
Q: What’s the best home remedy to unclog a drain?
A: If you find yourself with a clogged drain line, hot water, vinegar, and baking soda can serve as an inexpensive way to unclog it. Pour the hot water down the drain first, then baking soda, then vinegar, followed by more hot water after you’ve let the mixture sit in the drain for 10-15 minutes.
Different cleaners work for different types and severity of clogs — for example, what will work for a slow-flowing drain is most likely not going to work for a complete blockage. Chemical-based drain cleaners either the alkaline or acidic drain cleaner as the case may be will work the fastest.