There is a variety of grease that serves different purpose in the automotive, construction, general manufacturing, mining, metal production, power generation, food & beverage and industrial sector thus, the functionality of greases can not be underrated as it not only improves the performance of moving parts amongst other benefits but greases keep intact and lubricate moving surfaces without leaking out under the force of gravity, centrifugal action or being squeezed out under pressure. One major practical requirement is that it retains its properties under shear forces at all temperatures it experiences during use which effortlessly meets the need of every tool man.
Now despite the fact that greases serve so much purpose, there are different types of greases that serve different needs in the industry but in this context, we will discuss multipurpose greases, their right application, and distinctive differences between multipurpose grease and the other types of greases. The first thought we get when we hear the mention of multi-purpose grease is that it can serve all needs but you may be wrong or right, read on as we learn about the fact about multi-purpose grease at Epoxy Oilserv Nigeria Limited.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
What is grease
What is multipurpose grease
What is multipurpose grease made of
What’s the difference between multipurpose grease and regular grease?
Product in Range
Frequently Asked Questions About Multi-Purpose Grease
WHAT IS GREASE?
Grease is a solid or semisolid lubricant formed as a dispersion of thickening agents in a liquid lubricant. Grease generally consists of a soap emulsified with mineral or vegetable oil. The lubricating fluid is usually the majority component in the grease formulation. The additives are typically present in relatively low concentrations, and are added to the grease to provide enhancement in one of multiple performance areas. The thickener is what sets grease apart from liquid lubricants. This component gives the grease the property of consistency, making the product semi-solid rather than liquid. Many different chemical compounds can be used to thicken grease.
WHAT IS MULTIPURPOSE GREASE
In simple terms, a multi-purpose grease can be defined as a grease combining the properties of two or more specialized greases that can be applied in more than one application. For example, lithium grease can be applied both in chassis and wheel bearing applications of transport vehicles.
Traditionally, calcium greases were used for chassis, and sodium-based greases were utilized for wheel bearings. Calcium-based greases have been rated high for water resistance but poor for elevated temperatures. On the other hand, sodium-based greases better cover high temperatures but are not as good in regard to water resistance. When lithium greases emerged in the marketplace, they were found to be superior to both calcium and sodium greases, and soon became the most popular multi-purpose greases in the industry.
WHAT IS MULTIPURPOSE GREASE MADE OF
Multi-purpose grease is a NLGI No.2 Lithium soap-based grease, containing an EP additive together with rust and oxidation inhibitors. This is a general-purpose grease designed to reduce wear and friction in automotive, industrial, and other general applications.
Multi-purpose greases are recommended for most maintenance applications where the temperature remains within a conventional range of -20°C to 130°C. Load, speed, and lifetime constraints also remain within standard values.
Multi-purpose greases can be made of calcium soaps (hydrated or anhydrous) but more generally they are made of a lithium soap. This chemistry is particularly stable and resistant to mechanical constraints. Its high dropping point (around 190°C) allows it to be used at temperatures of around 140°C.
WHAT IS MULTIPURPOSE GREASE USED FOR?
Multi-purpose or multi-functional greases are particularly suitable for lubrication of equipment such as:
- Ball bearings, needle bearings, roller bearings: Grease is the most common type of lubricant used for rolling bearing lubrication today. About 90 percent of all bearings are lubricated in this manner. It is important to select the right grease for specific requirements and to calculate the lubricant life cycle. For accurate calculation of grease service life, it is necessary to know and apply limiting factors. The correct calculation will enable minimum quantity lubrication (MQL).
Ball and cylindrical roller bearings used in electric motors are an example of rolling bearings with MQL. If, however, these bearing types are subjected to negative influences, the effective grease lifetime can be rapidly reduced, and bearing damage can occur.
- Plain bearings: Mineral oils and greases are the most suitable lubricants for plain bearings in most applications. Synthetic oils are required if system temperatures are very high. Water and process fluids can also be used as lubricants in certain applications. The most important property of a lubricant for plain bearings is its viscosity. If the viscosity is too low the bearing has inadequate load-carrying capacity, whilst if the viscosity is too high the power loss and the operating temperature are unnecessarily high. The viscosity of mineral oils falls with increasing temperature. The lubricating properties of greases are determined to a large extent by the viscosity of the base oil and the type of thickener used in their manufacture. Additive oils are not required for plain bearing lubrication but other requirements of the system demand their use. Additives and certain contaminants create potential corrosion problems.
- Agricultural machinery: Selecting a grease to lubricate your farm machinery is almost as complicated as sifting through the myriad of motor oils on the market. There are some considerations that will help you decide which grease is best for your application and also save you some money along the way.
Grease in machinery has to be able to deal with friction, but it also has to overcome other contributing factors along the way. Load, speed, and temperature all can cause lubricants to fail to protect the machine properly, so you may not have a single good answer as to which product is best. On the other end of the spectrum are lithium-based greases. Lithium greases are soap-based, and as such, they are not as water-resistant as other forms of thicker, pasty grease.
The benefit to lithium grease is that it washes off more easily, and therefore, may be more desirable for visible applications, applications to high-speed parts (like roller chains), door hinges, or around-the-house uses such as garage doors. Its thinner nature also allows it to be delivered in the form of a spray-on product, which can be very handy.
- Axles and articulations: The most common cause of U-joint failure is the lack of or loss of lubrication. Use a good quality lithium based driveline grease when lubricating any drive shaft U-Joints or Carrier Bearings.Drive shafts and U-joints provide an efficient and durable means of transferring engine torque to the drive axles. U-joints allow drive shafts to move up and down with the suspension while the shaft is rotating so power can be transmitted even when a drive shaft is not at the same angle as its connection point.
Even if a vehicle’s U-joints cannot be lubricated, they should be inspected at every oil change. SUVs and pick-up trucks sometimes have lubrication fittings on drive shaft slip joints. These should be lubricated when the vehicle is serviced. Replacement U-joints can also come with lubrication fittings, so it is important to inspect all of a vehicle’s U-joints for grease fittings even if grease fittings were not originally equipped on the vehicle.
- Gimbals, chassis: lithium grease is a fluid grease that works very well for fleet applications. Lithium grease is often recommended for use in commercial vehicles with automatic lubrication systems. It is known for great metal adherence, which provides excellent wear and corrosion protection and water washout resistance.
Grease provides excellent protection against water and corrosion and is typically pumpable even in low-temperature conditions. A fluid grease by definition contains more base oil and fewer thickeners than grease, so there’s actually more protective lubricant, pound for pound, in a grease than a thicker blend.
lithium grease is a fluid grease that works very well for fleet applications. Lithium grease is often recommended for use in commercial vehicles with automatic lubrication systems. It is known for great metal adherence, which provides excellent wear and corrosion protection and water washout resistance. Grease provides excellent protection against water and corrosion and is typically pumpable even in low-temperature conditions.
- Pipes (for their protection): One of the first functions of grease is to participate effectively in the sealing of the system. Lubricating greases are very often in contact with water, in various forms: vapours, emulsions, rain or more generally jets under pressure or baths for cooling installations. They are not generally soluble in water, but prolonged contact can lead fatally to deterioration in their performance.
Epoxy Oilserv Nigeria Limited offers water-repellent, hydrophobic greases able to preserve their characteristics even in the presence of high percentages of water. It is very effective for pipe protection and these water-resistant greases protect not only against corrosion but also ensure lubrication without deterioration.
The use of calcium (in the form of mixed lithium/calcium soap or sulphonate) is a proven technology.
CHARACTERISTICS OF MULTIPURPOSE GREASE
Multi-purpose greases can be made of calcium soaps (hydrated or anhydrous) but more generally they are made of a lithium soap. This chemistry is particularly stable and resistant to mechanical constraints. Its high dropping point (around 190°C) allows it to be used at temperatures of around 140°C. We make mixed lithium-calcium soaps to improve behaviour in the presence of water and thus reinforce the versatility of this type of grease.
Soaps such as lithium complexes or sulphonate allow for high-end multi-purpose greases. The mineral base oil is perfectly suited to the target range of service temperatures. Thanks to multi-purpose additives they can fully meet the technical requirements of general maintenance and remain much more economical than speciality greases. Multi-purpose or multi-service greases are the core of maintenance lubrication.
|Diversity of the offer, interest for all markets||Products optimized with frequent updates = Excellent value for money|
|Wide spectrum additives, versatile thickeners||Suitable for numerous applications => A single grease = Rationalisation of stocks and procurement|
|Numerous lines are available in different packaging||Each industry and specificity taken into account = Easier organization of maintenance structure|
Multi-purpose greases can contain solid lubricants to increase EP performance and can be coloured to limit errors in use. They are available in all NLGI grades from 000 to grade 3. Their viscosity is generally in the range 100 cSt to 320 cSt but can be formulated from base oil of any viscosity (from 9 cSt to 1000 cSt).
- Excellent mechanical strength, stable to rolling and shearing
- Very good adherence to surfaces, resistant to water wash-out
- Large spectrum of additives: Anti-oxidant, anti-corrosion, anti-rust, anti-wear, extreme pressure (EP)
- Generally miscible with each other and with numerous elastomers.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MULTI-PURPOSE GREASE AND REGULAR GREASE
Lithium-complex greases generally possess good stability, high-temperature characteristics, and water-resistance properties. The dropping point and high-temperature life of calcium-sulfonate greases are also better, allowing these greases to be used at higher temperatures.
PRODUCTS IN RANGE
LubeMax: Epoxy Oilserv Nigeria Limited is the distributor of LubeMax Brand of Lubricants and grease in Nigeria. Lubemax multi-purpose grease is a premium, lithium-based red grease fortified with polymers, anti-wear agents, tackiness additives, and rust and oxidation inhibitors. Ideal for moderate-duty applications, this grease is also robust enough to handle heavily loaded applications found in industrial and mobile equipment.
LubeMax Multipurpose Grease does not easily wash out under heavy water ingress and exhibits good pump ability even at lower temperatures. It is suitable for use over a wide temperature range while providing resistance to oxidation and hardening at high temperatures. Recommended for greasing applications of plain bearings, rolling elements, antifriction bearings, bushings, and pins.
AEGEAN ALFA: GREASE RG (CALCIUM SULFONATE GREASE) 16KG
Epoxy Oilserv Nigeria Limited is the distributor and supplier of AEGEAN Lubricant in Nigeria. Aegean Alfa Grease RG is an excellent quality calcium sulfonate complex grease. Its special composition provides long-lasting advantages and long re-lubrication periods. It contains anti-oxidation and anti-corrosion additives, as well as pressure additives for resistance in extremely demanding conditions.
AEGEAN ALFA GREASE RG (CALCIUM SULFONATE GREASE) is suitable for the lubrication of bearings and ball bearings that are operating under extremely adverse conditions. It is recommended to be used in applications where there is a combination of high pressures and temperatures and long periods of re-lubrication are requested. It can be used by greasing, either through manual grease nipples or through an automated centralized lubrication system.
Features and Benefits
- Excellent resistance in high pressures
- Excellent protection in medium – high temperatures
- Effective rust protection, and oxidation and corrosion resistance
- Long periods of re-lubrication
Soap Type calcium sulfonate complex
Dropping Points 300
Worked Penetration 25 °c mm 265 – 295
• DIN 51825 KP2R-30
• DIN 51502
• ISO 6743-9 L-XBFHB 2
Total: Multis EP 3 Grease 18 Kg
GZ Industrial Supplies is the distributor and supplier of Total Lubricants in Nigeria. Total Multis EP 3 Grease is a multipurpose extreme pressure lithium/calcium grease for lubrication of all applications under load.
APPLICATION OF TOTAL MULTIS EP 3
- MULTIS EP 3 is a true multi purpose grease, formulated for lubrication of loaded slide-,ball-, and roller-bearings, wheel bearings, universal joints, chassis, and various shock loaded or vibrating applications in transport, agriculture and off road equipment, operating in wet, dusty and/or dry condition.
- It is suitable as a general purpose grease for industrial application requiring a NLGI 3 grade extreme pressure grease.
NOTE: When applying, always avoid contamination of the grease by dust or dirt. Preferably use a pneumatic pump system or cartridges.
- Because of its true multi purpose character MULTIS EP 3 may replace a wide range of greases, allowing stock rationalization and simplification of maintenance.
- Forms a durable lubrication film, resulting in reduction of maintenance and down-time costs.
- Miscible with most other conventional soap greases.
- Excellent mechanical stability avoiding ejection or loss of consistency during operation.
- Excellent adhesion to metal. Good thermal stability, leading to high resistance to temperature variations.
- MULTIS EP 3 does not contain lead, or other heavy metals considered harmful to human health and the environment.
- NLGI 3
- THICKENER Lithium/ Calcium
- OPERATION TEMPERATURE (°C) -20 to 120
- DROP POINT > 185
- WORKED PENETRATION @ 25°C 220 – 250
- COLOR PALE BROWN
- APPEARANCE SMOOTH
- ANTI-RUST PERFORMANCE 0-0
Fuchs: Renolit CXI 2 Grease
Epoxy Oilserv Nigeria Limited is the distributor and supplier of Fuch Lubricants in Nigeria. Fuchs Renolit CXI 2 Grease is an optimized calcium sulphonate complex grease based on selected mineral oils. RENOLIT CXI 2 features excellent working stability, EP load ability, and wear protection and shows good corrosion protection behavior even in the presence of saltwater. RENOLIT CXI 2 has low oil separation, it is water and aging-resistant, and can be used in a wide temperature range.
RENOLIT CXI 2 should be used for all lubrication points requiring a high performance concerning water resistance, working stability, EP, and AW properties.
RENOLIT CXI 2 is easily pumpable even in long tubes, fed by centralized lubrication systems.
RENOLIT CXI 2 was developed to work under severe conditions in plain and roller bearings in steel mills, paper industry, mining, concrete industry, quarries, and construction equipment.
• Extremely good EP properties • Good corrosion protection, even in the presence of saltwater
• Water-resistant • Resistant to aging • Smooth structure
• High working stability • Good anti-wear properties
Classification DIN 51502 –
Classification ISO 6743-9 –
Base oil Mineral oil
Solid lubricants –
NLGI grade 2
Base oil viscosity at 40 °C 400 mm²/s
Temperature range -20/+160 °C
Approvals, recommendations Ford ESA-M1C 172-A
Castrol: Spheerol EPL 2 Grease 18Kg
Epoxy Oilserv Nigeria Limited is the distributor and supplier of Castrol Lubricants in Nigeria. Castrol Spheerol EPL 2 Grease is a lithium-based grease product containing highly refined mineral oils and fortified with extreme pressure (EP) additives as well as corrosion and oxidation inhibitors. These greases have been formulated with additives that provide good film strength under medium to high loads.
Application of Castrol Spheerol EPL 2 Grease 18Kg
The Spheerol EPL range are general-purpose greases designed for plant-wide lubrication. The range extends from a NLGI 2 for general purpose bearing lubrication to a NLGI 00 semi-fluid grease suitable for centralized lubrication systems and grease-filled gearboxes. These greases provide good protection against rust and corrosion as well as resistance to water wash-out; which makes them particularly suitable for equipment where moist or wet conditions are common.
Features and Benefits
- High mechanical stability – the grease keeps its consistency in service ensuring long lubricant life
- Good adhesion – continuous lubrication and reduced consumption as film stays between lubricated surfaces
- Good water resistance – the grease film remains on the surface even in the presence of water
- Resistant to copper and steel corrosion – helps prevent rust and oxidation on metal surfaces
- Excellent EP and anti-wear properties – protects equipment against extreme loading and helps minimise bearing component wear
- Appearance Amber to Brown
- Thickener Type Lithium
- Base Oil Type Mineral Oil
- NLGI 2
- Density @20°C 0.9
- Dropping Point 200/392
- Base Oil Viscosity@40°C 150-200
Epoxy Oilserv Nigeria Limited is the supplier of Shell Lubricants in Nigeria, We have available Shell Gadus S2 v220 2 at all times in our locations across Nigeria. Shell Gadus S2 V220 2 is a high-performance multipurpose extreme pressure.
Features of Shell Gadus S2 V220 2 Grease
• Reliable Protection
• Multi-purpose Applications • Lithium
Shell Gadus S2 V220 greases are high quality multipurpose, extreme-pressure greases based on a blend of high viscosity index mineral oils and a lithium hydroxy stearate soap thickener and contain extreme-pressure and other proven additives to enhance their performance in a wide range of applications.
Shell Gadus S2 V220 greases are designed for the multipurpose grease lubrication of rolling elements and plain bearings as well as hinges and sliding surfaces such as those found throughout most industrial and transport sectors.
Outstanding Load Carrying Capacity.
Shell Gadus S2 V220 greases contain special extreme-pressure additives which enable them to withstand heavy and shock loads without failure of the lubricant film.
· Improved Mechanical Stability
This is particularly important in vibrating environments where poor mechanical stability can lead to grease softening with subsequent loss of lubrication performance and leakage.
· Good Resistance to water wash-out
Shell Gadus S2 V220 greases have been formulated to offer resistance to water wash-out.
· Oxidation Stability
Specially selected base oil components have excellent oxidation resistance. Their consistency will not alter in storage and they withstand high operating temperatures without hardening or forming bearing deposits.
Caltex: Molytex EP 2 Lithium Grease 16kg
Epoxy Oilserv Nigeria Limited is the distributor and supplier of Caltex Lubricants in Nigeria. Caltex Molytex EP 2 Lithium Grease is a proven performance multipurpose lithium grease primarily designed for a wide range of applications in construction, mining, and agricultural equipment where extreme pressure and shock load protection is required.
Application of Caltex Molytex EP 2 Lithium Grease
- They are used for automotive applications, including chassis grease point lubrication
- Construction, earthmoving, quarrying, mining and agricultural equipment
- Pins, bushings and other sliding surfaces or pivot points and anti-friction bearings
- Ball joints, universal joints (U-joints)
- High and shock load applications
Features and Benefits
- Caltex Molytex EP 2 Lithium Grease is formulated with a highly refined ISO VG 220 mineral base oil in combination with a lithium soap thickener and robust extreme pressure additives.
- Caltex Molytex EP 2 Lithium Grease offers further protection through the presence of rust and corrosion inhibitors and molybdenum disulfide solid lubricant.
- EP additives combined with molybdenum disulphide solid lubricating film offer robust wear protection under high and shock loads
- Rust and corrosion inhibitors help protect vulnerable components under wet operating conditions
- Molybdenum solid lubricant continues to offer a level of protection when an insufficient amount of grease remains in place.
- NLGI Grade 2
- Dropping Point, ˚C 195
- Molybdenum Disulfide, m % 3
- Oil Viscosity, — mm2 /s @ 40˚C 220
- — mm2 /s @ 100˚C 18.2
- Penetration, Worked @ 25 ˚C 280
- Thickener (Lithium ), m % 7.5
Volvo Corporate standard STD 1277.65, lubricating grease 97765
Caltex: Multifak EP 3 Grease 16kg
Epoxy Oilserv Nigeria Limited is the distributor and supplier of Caltex Lubricants in Nigeria. Caltex Multifak EP 3 Grease containing highly refined mineral base oils, lithium thickener, extreme pressure (EP) additives, and rust and oxidation inhibitors. It is a technically advanced, extended service premium grease for a wide variety of on-highway and light-duty off-road applications.
Application of Caltex Multifak EP 3 Grease
This can be applied in various ways as the following;
- Industrial plain and rolling element bearings.
- General plant lubrication.
- Centralized lubrication systems (NLGI 0 and 1).
- Construction equipment bearings.
- Earth moving, quarrying and mining.
- Agricultural equipment.
Features and Benefits
- Protects metal surfaces: Effective extreme pressure additive protects against component wear under high load conditions. Rust and corrosion inhibitors protect metal surfaces.
- Resist oxidation : It is formulated with antioxidants to resist oxidation to enhance grease service life.
- Good pumpability: Good pumpability characteristics of the lithium thickener provide suitable flow properties for grease pump application systems
- Reduces complexity: Multipurpose capability allows use in a wide range of industrial and automotive applications reducing the number of different greases required and eliminating product misapplication.
- Dropping Point, °C 205
- Oil Viscosity, mm²/s @ 40°C 208
- Oil Viscosity mm²/s@ 100°C 18.2
- Penetration, Worked @ 25°C 235
- Thickener (Lithium), m % 10
- NLGI Service Category LB (Multifak EP 3)
- Volvo Approval 97718 (Multifak EP 3)
- MAN 283 Li-P2 Approval (Multifak EP3)
SINOPEC: Multipurpose Lithium Base Grease 18Kg
Epoxy Oilserv Nigeria Limited is a Distributor of SINOPEC Lubricants in Nigeria, Our Sinopec Multipurpose Lithium Base Grease 18kg pack is in different pack sizes and has excellent mechanical and oxidation stability, its anti-rust properties enable it used under moist and water presence. We also have Various brands Like Mobil and Shell Brands. GZ Industrial has a wide range of SINOPEC Grease.
Features of Our Sinopec Multipurpose Lithium Base Grease 18Kg
- Multipurpose with excellent mechanical and oxidation stability
- Good Water resistant and anti-rust properties enable its application in equipment under moist and water present conditions
- Free of heavy metals, Nitrate and other chemicals that harm human’s health and pollute environment
It is suitable for lubrication of rolling bearings, sliding bearings and other friction areas of general mechanical equipment. Temperature Range: 20`C to 120`C.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT MULTIPURPOSE GREASE
1. I have noticed oil separation in grease stored in a container? Is it still OK to use?
Separation of oil or puddling in the grease pails/containers are common occurrences in lubricants when exposed to heat for a long or stored in a hot environment. The puddling can be mixed with the bulk of grease in the pail/container by safely stirring. Removing puddling can change the density of the grease. Follow standard procedures to mix the puddling with grease and ensure no external particles contaminate the grease. Oil separation will also occur when an uneven top surface is formed after the removal of grease from a container. Hence, it is suggested to level the top surface using a spatula. Consult with the lubricant manufacturer if you observe excessive oil separation.
2. Why is Grease Applied in Machines?
The application of grease in machines enhances working efficiency, Life of the product gets it away from corrosion and rust, less energy or fuel consumption, the components will work smoothly and there will be a decrease in noise.
3.How much grease should you put in a bearing?
Typical relubrication amounts are 1/3 to 1/2 of the original fill quantity. The proper fill quantity of a grease-lubricated bearing is often specified as a percentage of the bearing’s free space.
4. How do I calculate how much grease I need?
To calculate grease quantity, you need the bearing’s physical dimensions (primarily the outside diameter and width). Once you have these two measurements (in inches), you multiply them together and then multiply by 0.114. The resulting answer is the grease quantity in ounces.
5. How important is consistency in selection of the Grease?
The most important feature of grease is its consistency. A grease that is too stiff may not get pumped into areas requiring lubrication. While a grease that is too fluid may leak out. Grease consistency depends on the type and amount of thickener used and the viscosity of its base oil. A grease consistency is its resistance to deformation by an applied force.
6. Is there a problem with using a combination of two types of oils/greases in the same component where they may come in contact with each other? I want to replace the grease in an existing system with different grease. I can’t clean out all the old grease. Will there be a compatibility issue between the new and old grease?
No, there won’t be a compatibility, because when two incompatible greases are mixed, one of two things generally happens: the mixture hardens and will not release any of the oil or the mixture softens and releases all of the oil. In either case, the end result is basically the same; there is effectively no lubrication.
Secondly, in its mildest form, mixing different lubricants may lead to a degradation of lubricant performance. Mixing the same API grades of synthetic passenger car motor oil and mineral oil-based engine oil won’t damage the engine, but you will lose the performance features you expect from the synthetic.
7. Is it OK to leave unused grease in a grease gun?
It is acceptable to leave unused grease in a grease gun. It is recommended to release the pressure from the grease by drawing the handle back and locking the spring in the retracted/compressed position. Otherwise, the oil may separate from the grease over time in storage due to the increased pressure applied by the grease gun spring.
8.There is a burnt odor around a grease-lubricated bearing. Is that a concern?
A burnt odor may indicate overheating of the bearing. A burnt odor suggests that the grease may have been oxidized or thermally degraded. It is prudent to investigate the source of a burnt odor and to determine its cause. If the source of the odor is a grease-lubricated bearing, the equipment should be shut down and the problematic bearing checked.
9.Where is lubricating grease used?
Lubricating grease is used in any type of machinery with rolling or sliding contacts. This can include bearings, gears, couplings, slides, linkages, chains, pin and bushing points, fifth wheels, hinges, constant velocity joints, adjustment mechanisms, etc. Greases are used in components used in electric motors, machine tools, railroad and construction equipment, instruments, household appliances, etc. Greases are also commonly used in slow-speed sliding applications and small gearboxes. A large majority (as much as 90%) of all bearings are grease lubricated.
10. I have opened a new container of lubricating grease and used part of the product. How do I store the remaining product for future use?
The remaining unused lubricating grease can be stored for future use. The surface of the grease should be left smooth (without depressions) by smoothing it with a clean implement such as a spatula or putty knife. The container should then be gently banged on a hard surface to remove any entrained air bubbles and re-smoothed. This is to minimize the separation of oil from the grease during storage. The lid or cover should be placed on the container and secured as well as possible, and the container should be stored indoors out of direct sunlight and away from any heat sources.
11. What lubricating grease should be used in automotive wheel bearings under low ambient temperature conditions?
Most lubricating greases formulated for use in automotive wheel bearings are NLGI 2 grade and are designed to operate at temperatures as low as -40 Â°C (-40 Â°F). The NLGI GC-LB or SAE J310 specifications require the grease to operate at that temperature. For continuous operation at extremely low temperatures (below -40 Â°C/-40 Â°F), a product containing a synthetic base fluid may be considered. In addition, a softer consistency grease (NLGI 1 grade) may be needed.
12. What lubricating grease should be used in automotive wheel bearings that are exposed to a wide range of temperature conditions?
Most lubricating greases for automotive wheel bearings must meet the NLGI GC-LB or SAE J310 requirements. Both of those specifications require that the grease must operate over a temperature range of -40 Â°C (-40 Â°F) to 160 Â°C (320 Â°F). This covers the vast majority of driving conditions.
13.Does the color of lubricating grease have any significance?
The color of unused lubricating grease can be natural (light tan to black, depending on the formulation), or colored with a dye. Black greases typically contain molybdenum disulfide or graphite, both of which impart a dark gray to black color to the grease. The natural color of most greases is light tan to medium brown. Manufacturers add dyes to some greases to give them distinctive colors, either for marketing purposes or to make them easy to distinguish for maintenance personnel.
14. What is the significance of a change in color of lubricating grease during service?
In-service lubricating greases can change color due to thermal degradation, oxidation, or contamination. The dyes used to color greases may lose color intensity when subjected to high temperatures. Highly oxidized greases may become very dark to black. Greases that are contaminated with water sometimes take on an emulsified or milky appearance. When different greases are mixed in service, the resulting color maybe somewhere between the colors of the individual greases.
Multipurpose greases are very important in different industries and their use varies depending on the user’s demand. Contact our expert for more enquiries on the use of multipurpose grease for your needs. Epoxy Oilserv Nigeria Limited is here to serve you better.