The use of corrosion inhibitors has widespread application in suppressing or at least mitigating the corrosion process of metals in different fields, from industrial sectors to construction materials to surface treatments for cultural heritage. Metal corrodes when it reacts with other substances such as oxygen, hydrogen, an electrical current, or even dirt and bacteria from the surrounding as long as it has been exposed to the substances mentioned earlier. Metals such as steel can also corrode when so much stress or pressure has been exacted on them, causing the material to crack. With this, the most frequent question been asked is the need how to protect/ prevent our metals from corroding. Hence inhibitors have always been the first line of defense against corrosion.
What is a Corrosion Inhibitor?
A corrosion inhibitor is a chemical substance that, when present in the corrosion system at a suitable concentration, decreases the corrosion rate by significantly changing the concentration of any corrosive agent. It is generally effective in small concentrations.
A corrosion inhibitor is a chemical that could be in either a liquid state or gaseous state that can be added to reduce or slow down the corrosion rate of the metal. Corrosion is usually due to Oxygen, water, dirt, and bacteria.
Types of Corrosion inhibitor
Epochem Corrosion inhibitors are classified into two general types due to the nature in which they prevent corrosion. Some corrosion inhibitors also serve as an industrial coolant and protect engines’ cooling system, while others reduce the corrosion rate of metals. They include;
1. Water-based inhibitor
The water-based inhibitor is an Epochem brand of Cleaning and maintenance chemicals in Nigeria. This corrosion inhibitors coolant is a series of extended-life industrial coolant/antifreeze and heat transfer fluids formulated for stationary equipment applications already pre-diluted. These products are based on a unique extended-life carboxylate inhibitor system and nitrite/molybdate as secondary inhibitors. These water-based inhibitors provide complete protection of cooling system components, do not contain borates, phosphate, amines, and silicates, and are available in ethylene glycol-based fluid.
The Applications Of Epocool 2000 Coolant
• Stationary engines used in natural gas processing, irrigation, power generation, marine applications, oilfield operations, and portable air compressors
• Heat transfer applications such as line heaters, snow melting systems
• Unique applications such as coolants in air conditioning units
• On-road/off-road heavy-duty diesel engine applications
• Glycol-based products can be used where toxicity is a concern
• Nitrite-free product is recommended for on-road/off-road and industrial applications
Benefits of Epocool 2000 Corrosion Inhibitor Coolant
• Protects all industrial cooling system metals, including brass, copper, solder, steel, cast iron, and aluminum
• Contains no silicates, phosphates, borates, or amines
• Low dissolved solids formula prevents the formation of deposits
• Phosphate-free formula helps prevent hard water scale formation
• Silicate-free technology maintains good new heat transfer and prevents the formation of silicate gels during use and storage
• 100% biodegradable in its unused form
• Available as ethylene glycol-based fluids
Technical Specifications of Epocool 2000 Corrosion Inhibitor Coolant
Appearance Clear Liquid
Specific Gravity 1.06
Freezing point 50%(Aqueous soln) N/A
Freezing point -34
Boil over protection 1290C
Procedures For Use
• Allow the cooling system to cool thoroughly. Drain traditional coolant from the cooling system.
• Dispose of all coolant according to all laws and regulations.
• Fill cooling system with clean water and circulate system until normal operating temperatures are reached.
• Circulate system for 15 to 30 minutes after reaching normal operating temperatures.
• Check the system for any leaks and replace any worn materials.
• Drain the water from the cooling system completely
• Dispose of all re-circulated water according to all laws and regulations. Water that remains in the cooling system will affect the freezing point of the new coolant when added.
• Re-filling the cooling system, If using Epocool 2000 Corrosion Inhibitors coolant. Fill the cooling system about 9/10 full with Epocool Pre-diluted 50/50. Circulate system until normal operating temperature is reached. Test freeze point and adjust to between -15ºF and -62ºF. The optimal freeze point is -34ºF.
• For over-concentrated systems, use water to make freeze point more positive. The circulated system after the freezing point has been adjusted.
• Check the coolant level regularly. If systems are prone to leaking, more frequent checking of the cooling system is recommended to maintain proper fluid levels. Top up as required with Epocool 2000 Corrosion Inhibitors Coolant.
• Coolant levels should be maintained to ensure correct cooling system operation and avoid headspace corrosion.
• For ethylene glycol systems, check the freezing point at least twice per year using a refractometer and adjust to between -15ºF and -62ºF. The optimum freeze point is -34ºF.
- Solvent-based inhibitor
The solvent-based Epochem brand of Cleaning and maintenance chemicals in Nigeria. It is applied to an environment that significantly reduces the corrosion rate of materials, especially metals exposed to that environment. It is considered the first line of defense against corrosion.
These solvent-based corrosion inhibitors are corrosion preventatives for application to surfaces likely to corrode, either in storage or in use. They are blends of selected rust prevention materials dissolved in a solvent for ease of application. On application, the solvent evaporates, leaving a protective coating.
Applications of Epochem 109 Corrosion Inhibitor 5Ltr
Epochem 109 Corrosion Inhibitor 5Ltr can be applied by dipping, brushing, or spraying.
Health & Safety
Epochem 109 Corrosion Inhibitor 5Ltr is unlikely to present any significant health or safety hazard when properly used in the recommended application, and good industrial and personal hygiene standards are maintained. After skin contact, wash immediately with soap and water.
Corrosion protection is required for all major equipment, and our commitment is to deliver only the best corrosion protection.
Why you should use Corrosion inhibitor
Corrosion Inhibitors have a wide range of applications in various sectors, and it is important to eliminate rust or corrosion from business facilities, homes, and industrial environments. Some of these uses are listed below.
Corrosion Inhibitors are used to slow down or stop rusting and anodic corrosion of metals. This is usually done via the coating of the metal surface with a chromate layer. Oxygen scavengers can be used as Corrosion Inhibitors to react with dissolved oxygen in the environment and can help in preventing cathodic corrosion.
Where to Buy Corrosion Inhibitors in Nigeria
Here are some notable locations to find Nigeria’s best cleaning chemical supplier.
Epoxy Oilserv Nigeria Limited
Epoxy Oilserv is the foremost cleaning chemicals supplier in Nigeria; our attention to the effectiveness of cleaning and maintenance chemicals is top-notch.
Km 3 Igbo Etche Road Rumukwurushi, off Eleme Junction Port Harcourt
Tel: +234 8053390164 +234 7085193552
GZ Industrial Supplies
Gz Industrial supplies is a distributor and supplier of Corrosion Inhibitors in Nigeria.
GZ Industrial Supplies
Km 42 Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway,
Opposite Coronation Power and Gas Limited, Ado-Odo/Ota, Ogun State
Contacts Tell. +234 8053390168
GZ Industrial Supplies Nigeria Ogba
77/79 Yaya Abatan By College Road Ogba Lagos State
Contacts Tell. +234 8181069339, +234 9055793557
30/32 Ndidem Usang Iso Road. Mariam Calabar 540242
GZ Industrial supplies Nigeria
238 Aba Road, by Fidelity Bank Rumuogba
Tikweld Welding Supplies and services
Tikweld welding supplies and services is a distributor and supplier of the Epochem brand of products in Nigeria.
238 Aba Road Rumuogba
First floor Onyejieke Plaza
Suit 10 Pine plaza, Formerly Sebuf plaza Lekki Epe Expressway Lekki, 105102, By Osopa London. Lagos
Shop 016, Zitel Plaza, Plot 227 P.O.W. Mafemi Cres, Utako 900108, Abuja
Call us 24 hours +234 90 557 935 58
It is very important to prevent rusting and corrosion of various commercial and industrial facilities, thus reducing the risk of accidents or environmental hazards, Corrosion Inhibitors play an important role in securing industrial pipes, and it has their place in the oil industry; their application is necessary to mitigate the corrosion of metals due to the presence of water, oxygen, dirt, and bacteria. They also function as a coolant for industrial and automotive engines. Contact EpoxyOil Serv Nigeria Limited for the best corrosion inhibitor in Nigeria.